Tuesday, September 29, 2009

and another one bites the dust...

Ode to Rames....
I just found out yesterday that another Palestinian teacher Rames quit.

No warning at all. In fact she called in sick and then quit at the end of the second day of not showing up with no explanation at all.

The strange part is that no one seems too upset by this news; Not the kids, not the parents and not the other teachers.

She certainly was not my favorite person in the school. I had to share a classroom with her last year and ever time i put up decorations she took them right down, even though i was told to put them up by the admin.

But it is strange that she isn't around... I actually might miss her.

She is the second teacher to quit in two weeks. (one of those weeks being vacation) Sabreen was my first Palestinian friend and by far my favorite teacher here at the school. I am really sad and disappointed that she left. Her departure shocked everyone. The reactions were the interesting part, the left of betrayal felt by everyone here really impressed me.
I want to stay friends with her but if i get caught socializing with her, all kinds of drama will break out. Nablus is a small enough town that there is no way i won't get caught either...

I don't know what is going on around here. Four teachers have left in the past month. Who knows how many more will go in the next few.

I finally understand how the Arabic department here feels about meeting and getting to know us internationals. They can't be bothered because so many of us come and go so quickly. I myself am beginning to feel that way about them.... although I won't let myself fall into that trap.

Two or three more internationals will be arriving in the next two weeks. Is it too much to hope for that they might stick around? Or better yet is it too much to hope that I would want them to stick around?

No comments:

Post a Comment